How Pop Stars Can Influence the Health of Your Child’s Feet
Surprisingly, there are girls who are as young as six-years-old who are starting to wear heels. Researchers have found that celebrities such as Taylor Swift and girl-group ‘Little Mix’ are part of the reason why young girls are wanting to wear heels. According to a study, one in ten girls begins to wear small heeled shoes at age six, which may cause the calf muscles to shorten while also putting pressure on the ball of the foot. Another study was able to find that children are in danger of suffering long term damage to their feet due to the unsuitable shoes they are wearing. It is crucial that parents have their child’s feet measured from ages one to three, because this is the stage where foot growth occurs most rapidly.
Making sure that your children maintain good foot health is very important as they grow. If you have any questions, contact Dr. Spencer Hardy of Red Mountain Footcare. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
How To Keeping Children’s Feet Healthy
Having healthy feet during childhood can help prevent medical problems later in life, namely in the back and legs. As children grow, their feet require different types of care. Here are some things to consider…
- Although babies do not walk yet, it is still very important to take care of their feet.
- Avoid putting tight shoes or socks on his or her feet.
- Allow the baby to stretch and kick his or her feet to feel comfortable.
- As a toddler, kids are now on the move and begin to develop differently. At this age, toddlers are getting a feel for walking, so don’t be alarmed if your toddler is unsteady or ‘walks funny’.
- As your child gets older, it is important to teach them how to take care of their feet.
- Show them proper hygiene to prevent infections such as fungus.
- Be watchful for any pain or injury.
- Have all injuries checked by a doctor as soon as possible.
- Comfortable, protective shoes should always be worn, especially at play.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Mesa, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.