Why Elderly Persons Should Always Be Moving
Aging experts say that telling the elderly to take it easy and not exercise is bad for their long-term health. Many believe that aging causes a loss of strength and fitness, but some experts say it is actually the opposite. The elderly have an increased risk of falling due to slower reaction times and decreased fitness. Encouraging the elderly to find activities that promote exercise and to follow a good diet can help decrease the risk of falls. If you are older and wish to start exercising, check with a doctor to see if it is right for you.
Every 11 seconds, an elderly American is being treated in an emergency room for a fall related injury. Falls are the leading cause of head and hip injuries for those 65 and older. Due to decreases in strength, balance, senses, and lack of awareness, elderly persons are very susceptible to falling. Thankfully, there are a number of things older persons can do to prevent falls.
How to Prevent Falls
Some effective methods that older persons can do to prevent falls include:
- Enrolling in strength and balance exercise program to increase balance and strength
- Periodically having your sight and hearing checked
- Discuss any medications you have with a doctor to see if it increases the risk of falling
- Clearing the house of falling hazards and installing devices like grab bars and railings
- Utilizing a walker or cane
- Wearing shoes that provide good support and cushioning
- Talking to family members about falling and increasing awareness
Falling can be a traumatic and embarrassing experience for elderly persons; this can make them less willing to leave the house, and less willing to talk to someone about their fears of falling. Doing such things, however, will increase the likelihood of tripping or losing one’s balance. Knowing the causes of falling and how to prevent them is the best way to mitigate the risk of serious injury.
Preventing falls among the elderly is very important. If you are older and have fallen or fear that you are prone to falling, consult with Dr. Jeff Pawlowski from Red Mountain Footcare. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs. Our doctor will assess your condition and provide you with quality advice and care.