The Importance of Maintaining Proper Foot Care as You Age
Maintaining proper foot care is essential at any age, and it’s especially important for the elderly population to pay close attention to their feet. Commonly, assistance is often needed to properly trim the toenails because of eyesight concerns or experiencing difficulty in bending down. There are several steps to correctly trimming the toenails, and it’s suggested to start by soaking the feet in a warm bath to aid in softening the nails. It’s wise to thoroughly dry the feet, especially between the toes, and apply a moisturizer that will prevent the skin from cracking. Trimming the toenails straight across the nail bed can prevent ingrown toenails and infections from developing. Schedule a consultation with a podiatrist for additional information on how to care for elderly feet.
The Elderly and their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
Common Elderly Foot Conditions
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet, and can hide many life threating medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered.
Some other problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Susceptible to Infections
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Dr. Jeff Pawlowski from Red Mountain Footcare. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Feel free to visit our office located in Mesa, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.
Read more about Elderly and their Feet