How to Keep Diabetic Feet Healthy
Many diabetics incur nerve damage, often making it difficult to feel sores, blisters, or cuts. Please consult your podiatrist for advice in keeping your feet healthy
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetes affects millions of people every year. The condition can damage blood vessels in many parts of the body, especially the feet. Because of this, taking care of your feet is essential if you have diabetes, and having a podiatrist help monitor your foot health is highly recommended.
The Importance of Caring for Your Feet
Checking the feet nightly can be helpful in preventing infections; however, it may be difficult for the diabetic patient to check their feet due to arthritis, diminished eyesight or possible back problems. Having someone check the feet daily or using a small mirror may be beneficial in observing the soles of the feet. Symptoms to look for include any type of irritation, redness, or callus; additionally, paying extra attention to the toes and the ball of the foot is crucial in noticing foot ulcers.
Here are some tips for keeping your feet healthy:
- Routinely inspect your feet for bruises or sores.
- Wear socks that fit your feet comfortably.
- Wear comfortable shoes that provide adequate support.
- Moisturizing is necessary in preventing dry skin, which may cause cracked heels that can become infected.
- Trimming the toenails is important to do with clippers that are designed for toenails, thereby preventing injuries to the foot.
- Be careful when using an electric blanket because it can reduce feeling in the feet.
- Ice packs can cause numbness in the feet and may not be recommended for this reason.
Patients with diabetes should have their doctor monitor their blood levels, as blood sugar levels play such a huge role in diabetic care. Monitoring these levels on a regular basis is highly advised.
It is always best to inform your healthcare professional of any concerns you may have regarding your feet, especially for diabetic patients. Early treatment and routine foot examinations are keys to maintaining proper health, especially because severe complications can arise if proper treatment is not applied.
Consult with a Podiatrist
Diabetic foot care is important in preventing foot ailments such as ulcers. If you are suffering from diabetes or have any other concerns about your feet, contact Red Mountain Footcare. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet. If you have any questions, please feel free to make an appointment at our office located in Mesa, AZ. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.